Posted in awards, Italy, Teachers, Writing, tagged Italian Alps, Middle Grade Fiction, Nature Photography, Personal Writing, PNWA, writing contests on August 10, 2011|
22 Comments »
The view from the farmhouse in the Italian Alps.
1. I feel fortunate and lucky to have been able to spend time in Italy. Even though I didn’t visit the towns where my grandparents were born, I still felt an intensely personal connection with the land, perhaps because I spent several days with a good friend at a farmhouse that has been in his family for five hundred years.
A built-to-last stone roof.
2. Tomorrow I start a new job as the English Language Learner Teacher/Facilitator at West Valley High School. It is a semester-long position and will be a great introduction into the ESL/ELL world. I’m a little anxious because I’ve been out of the classroom for a few years but I’m also totally psyched to dive in and do the best job that I can.
3. My middle grade novel, STRANDED, was awarded second place in the Pacific Northwest Writers Association’s Annual Contest. This news came to me via email a few minutes before starting the 21 hour trip home from Italy.
So yeah, I’m feeling jet-lagged from the 10 hour time change, I’m still digesting the Italy experience (which I’ll write about in the future), and I’m a bit preoccupied by the details of my new job that have been streaming in today, but I’m smiling!!!
That's me at the farmhouse with a stone barn in the background.
Thanks for stopping by.
Read Full Post »
The blog has been a little quiet lately but that doesn’t mean I’ve been sitting around doing nothing.
1. I had a wonderful two week visit with my family, one of the highlights being a trip to Grand Haven, Michigan to celebrate our 14th wedding anniversary. Yes, I took a dip in Lake Michigan.
2. I ran the Sunburst Marathon in South Bend, Indiana in high humidity and 80 degree plus heat. I’m glad I crossed the finish line before they called the race due to hazardous heat conditions.
3. While I was in the Midwest, I received some good news: My middle grade novel has been chosen as a finalist in the Pacific Northwest Writers Association’s Annual Contest. Winners will be announced in August at their annual conference.
4. I accepted a job for the fall semester. I will be teaching English to the ELL (English Language Learners) students at West Valley High School. It is a ¾ time teaching position and just for the fall semester, kind of perfect for me in terms of keeping my writing going.
5. I’m going hiking in the Italian Alps in late July/early August.
6. And, am I working on a new book? You bet I am!!
Interesting. Is that public information?
That’s all the news that fit to tell. What have you been up to lately?
Read Full Post »